Sunday, March 9, 2008

wheew

What a snow-filled weekend. Most things that I planned to do got cancelled. On Sat, I headed down to Rideau and King street to get to the Ottawa Little THeatre where I had signed up for a class. But I did so without checking my messages and I could have saved myself the trouble as no one was there. When I got back home, I saw that the guy had left a message; three actually! I had to drown my sorrows in a Willy pizza.

I played squash later and chilled around the apt, watching the carnage unfold from my window.

Sunday is where all the action happened. After much debating I decided that I would not attend the comedy show that evening on Preston St. I so wanted to go cross-country skiing but I never did make it. As I was going in Langholm Crescent to pick up the stuff from my parents' house, the Escort got stuck in the huge ridges of snow. I was angry, furious even that these side streets were left to pots. I revved the engine for a while, and then just sat there. A nice woman offered me a shovel, and I thought my prayers had been answered. As I was done shovelling around the car, I noticed I had left my keys in the car and locked it?! I was screwed. Thankfully, Marka nd Heidi were right down the street so I went to them, called CAA, and sat down to play some hockey to fill in the time. To my amazement, the truck came within an hour. But then the trouble started. The huge CAA truck got completely stuck on the side of the snow bank. This persisted for more than an hour as the guy kept spinning his wheels, burning rubber and ultimately spinning his truck all over the place. Cars were blocked by our big commotion and it was a sight.

The guy finally jarred himself loose and pulled the escort out and then got in the locked door. I then proceeded to act as the neighbourhood snow manager, as I tried to clear the spot where I got stuck. I did this for around 40 minutes before tiring. Hats off to Mark who cleared two driveways and pushed two cars out from their stationary state. He was a sore soldier afterwards. This has truly been, "The Winter from Hell" (richard lewis)

I had a bunch of advice to post but I will s ave them for a later post. I should mention that I performed less than ideally on my big french oral test and that I am fed up with the NHL teams and their choice to alternate between what jerseys they wear. First, it was always white jersey at home (ever since I can remember). Then in ahuge marketing effort to sell more jerseys, they switched it around and started wearing their dark jersey at home. Now some teams are screwing around again with it, most notably the coyotes who wore white at home. Can't the League just institute a mandatory white at home policy, like other leagues.

Lastly, 'yaker' has skewed the results I believe by notifying me that he was keeping track of his blog appearances. I realized this after he let me know that he was going for the "triple crown". While he may not have won the triple crown, he did win the Art Ross trophy and and the Hart Trophy, so that has got to count for something.

1 comment:

H. said...

I was disappointed that you left out the blocked minivan and the CAA guy trying to find a shovel from your story...all in all, an eventful little sunday. you would not have enjoyed so much excitement (or Mark's great maple ribs) had you gone to the comedy club.