On Friday, I was able to enjoy the fine display of Triple A baseball as the Lynx took on the Norfolk Tides. It was quite amusing as the Norfolk players were the nicest athletes I've ever seen up close. They were giving away balls by the bunch - something the lynx players never did anything of when I sat behind their dugout last time. IN addition, the players being heckled by belligerant Lynx fans (some guys behind me) actually went along with the act. It was quite fun; at one point they tried to invite Kurt Birkins, a pitcher who had spent some time with the Orioles, to a strip joint. He expressed interest and I can only speculate as to what happened as the four heckling buffoons approached him at the end of the game. On a down note, attendance once again sucked. It really is a shame that the Lynx will be moving to Allentown, Pennsylvania for the 2008 season. Frankly, it is embarrassing that this town (the size of Kingston) will be able to better support the team - especially considering the bleak picture wikipedia paints of the town. Observe here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allentown,_Pennsylvania
Some of the highlights of Allentown include:
-The median income for a household in the city was $32,016, and the median income for a family was $37,356. Males had a median income of $30,426 versus $23,882 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,282. 18.5% of the population and 14.6% of families were below the poverty line. 29.4% of those under the age of 18 and 10.3 percent of those 65 and older were living below the poverty line.
-In 2006, the known criminal offenses in Allentown, as reported to the F.B.I., included around 800 violent crimes and over 7,000 property crimes. With the exception of aggravated assault, Allentown exceeded national averages in all criminal categories. Cases of arson in Allentown were nearly double the national average[1]. Other crimes in Allentown that substantially exceeded national averages were robbery, murder and forcible rape.
-The city's crime statistics have been heightened over the past decade by growing gang-related crime and gang rival violence. The city also has seen a growth in drug trafficking and prostitution.
-The largest employer in Allentown is Lehigh Valley Hospital and Health Network, with over 7,800 employees. [10][11]
I have started a new fiction book which I am enjoying to the fullest. I also spent some time on french this weekend. Tomorrow I am going to dinner at my parents' with special guest Larry Hobbs.
Sunday, July 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment